What is PHP : PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-Processor. PHP is a scripting language used to develop static and dynamic webpages and web applications. Here are a few important things you must know about PHP.
- PHP is an Interpreted language, hence it doesn’t need a compiler.
- To run and execute PHP code, we need a web server on which PHP must be installed.
- PHP is a server side scripting langauge, which means that PHP is executed on the server and the result it sent to the browser in plain HTML.
- PHP is open source and free.
- PHP is one of the most widely used server side scripting language for web development. Popular websites like Facebook, Yahoo, Wikipedia etc, and our very own Studytonight, are developed using PHP.
- PHP is so popular, hence it has been the first choice for beginners since decades.
what are some of the advanced features of php What is PHP
What is PHP PHP is very popular language becasue of its simplicity and open source. There are some important deatures of PHP given below:
- Performance: PHP script is executed much faster than those scripts which are written in other languages such JSP and ASP. PHP uses its own memory, so the server workload and loading speed and better performance.
- Open Source: PHP source code and software are freely available on the web. You can develop all the versions of PHP according to your requirement without paying any cost. All its components are free to download and use.
- Familiarity with syntax: PHP has easily understandable syntax. Programmers are comfortable coding with it.
- Embedded: PHP code can be easily embedded within HTML tags and script.
- Platform Independent: PHP is available for WINDOWS, MAC, LINUX & UNIX operating system. A PHP application developed in one OS can be easily executed in other OS also.
- Database Support: PHP supports all the leading database such as MySQL, SQLite, ODBC, etc.
- Error Reporting: PHP has predefined error reporting constants to generate an error notice or warning at runtime. E.g. E-ERROR, E_WARNING, E_STRICT, E_PARSE.
- Lossely Typed Language: PHP allows us to use a varible without declaring its datatype. It will be taken automaticaally at the time of execution based on the type of data it contains on its value.
- Web servers Support: PHP is compatible with almost all local servers used today like Apache, Netscape, Microsoft IIS, etc.
10 Security: PHP is a secure language to develop the website. It consists of multiple layers of security to prevent threads and malicious attacks.
- Control: Different programming languages require long script or code, whereas PHP can do the same work ina few lines of code. It has maximum control over the websites like you can make changes easily whenever you want.
- A Helpful PHP Community: Its has a large community of developers who regularly updates documentation, tutorials, online help, and FAQs. Learning PHP from the communities is one of the significant benefits.
How to install on windows? What is PHP
To install PHP, we will suggest you to install AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) software stacks. It is available for all operating systems. There are many AMP options available in the market that are given below:
- WAMP for windows
- LAMP for linux
- MAMP for Mac
- SAMP for Solaries
- FAMP for FreeBSD
- XAMPP (Cross, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl) for cross platform it inlcudes some other components too such as filezilla, openSSL, webalizer, Mercury Mail, etc.
If you are on Windows and don’t want Perl and other feature of XAMPP, you should go for WAMP. In a similar way, you may use LAMP for linux and MAMP for macintosh. install XAMPP server on windows.
We will learn how to install the XAMPP server on windows platform step by step. Follow the below steps and install the XAMPP server on your system.
Step1: Click on the above link provided to download the XAMPP server according to your window requirement.
Step 2: After downloading XAMPP, double click on the download file and allow XAMPP to make changes in your system. A window will pop-up, where you here have to click on the next button.
Step 3: Here, select the components which you want to install and click next.
Step 4. Choose a folder where you want to install the XAMPP in your system and click Next.
Step 5. Click next and move ahead.
Step 6. XAMPP is ready to install, so click on the next button and install the XAMPP.
Step 7. A finsih window will display after successful installation. Click on the finish button.
Step 8. Choose your preferred language.
Step 9 . XAMPP is ready to use. Start the Apache server and MySQL and run the PHP program on the localhost.
How to run PHP programs on XAMPP, see in the next tutorial.
Step 10. Finish